07/30 Poem A Day Challenge

Some mornings I can't get started writing. This is when I go in search of poetic forms like the ones on this list from writer's digest. Often when I start playing around with a format, the rest of the poem seems to emerge all by itself.

Today I experimented with dodoitsu.

According to Robert Lee Brewer, "This 4-line poem has seven syllables in the first three lines and five syllables in the fourth–and final–line. The dodoitsu often focuses on love or work with a comical twist."

Here is today's poem which addresses one of my loves. 

everyone's an addict
of some kind or another
function is impossible 
without my coffee

3 comments:

  1. Ha! Everything is included, the word, the action and reaction! New form to me! I think that too, but did discover when I was on trips camping with students & often had no coffee, I did survive. (Maybe cause I had to?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We want camping once and brought decaf without realizing it. We had headaches for a few days til we finished withdrawal.

      Delete
  2. A new form to me as well and marking it as one to try this month. And I am fully on board with you "function is impossible" line. Just starting my second cup and hoping to get to some writing!

    ReplyDelete