A Place for Frogs by Melissa Stewart & Higgins Bond (illustrator)


I like the way this book is laid out. Higgins Bond's illustrations are stunning and Melissa Stewart's text is straightforward and informative.

The top of each two page spread has basic informational text. On the left hand side is information about how humans make frog's lives difficult. On the right-hand is information about a solution.

Each page highlights a different kind of frog or specific problem. An inset picture identifies either the frog, or the problem faced by frogs. This is accompanied by a column filled with additional information about the issue. 

I appreciate that this book highlights a few specific frogs, but at the same time presents information that is problematic for many species of frogs. There is one page that deals with the ramifications of introducing exotic frogs. I wish there had been more information about this. Here in my part of the Pacific Northwest the introduction of bullfrogs is wreaking havoc on native frog populations as well as many other species.

Unfortunately this book has neither a table of contents nor an index. I appreciate that there is a section at the end with extra frog facts as well as a bibliography. The thing is, as a teacher helping students learn to navigate their way through information books, I see these missing components as critical pieces in the creation of cognitive scaffolds. I wish publishers would realize this.

In spite of my quibbles, I think this book would make a fantastic introduction to a study of water, environment, or even just frogs. After I finished reading it, I went to learn more about frogs in my region. (I had been wondering about the tadpoles I saw last week camping anyway) I'm not sure what they were, but I have it narrowed down to a few possibilities.

I recommend this book for all school libraries and people interested in frogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment