Slice of Life: Endings

The Slice of Life community, hosted by Two Writing Teachers, is a weekly event where writers, and wannabe maybe writers like myself, link up and share a bit of what they have written in the past week. I try to get to as many posts as I can because they all fill me with inspiration and awe. Do yourself a favour and take a bit of time to read some of the posts. 

Last weekend we celebrated my mother's life. There was the Catholic funeral mass in the morning, the interment of her ashes and the following reception at the church. In the evening we hosted a potluck barbeque in our backyard for about ninety family and friends. It was a day abundant with joy and love, just how Mom would have wanted it. 

With that phase of the grieving process is over, I feel a need to let go of these poems I wrote and worked on in the time before now. Today I'm releasing these last two pieces into digital space. 

the d word

I can almost say it.


There was a time
I didn't understand the use of euphemisms.

passing away
crossing over
gone to a better place
at peace
resting in heaven
visiting those who went before
shuffled off the mortal coil
joined the great poker game in the sky

Now these
transition words
carry me across the space

from before



                         to after


My mother died.
She is dead.
In this moment, 
for now at least,
I can say it.

Maybe this means I know it is real.





Cycle 

My mother left in the spring,


the air fresh, fragrant, and sweet
with earth's giddiness,

A bacchanalia of new life.

I swear, 
the old gods were welcoming her home.


20 comments:

  1. Cheriee, though this is so hard and so emotional, I so admire you that you are sharing it here. Release away. Deep breath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel like a kind of a release. I know it's not really over, but we sent her off in a style Mom would have loved and I guess that is what closure means.

      Delete
  2. What a glorious send off, now you need the time to have "gone" really sink in. Takes time...the journey will be hard but writing (for me) can be so therapeutic.
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie, I've found reading your Letters to Tuvia bring me all kinds of comfort and hope.

      Delete
  3. Great pieces, Cheerie. The first piece, in particular, speaks to me, as I have used them and still do. The word is so difficult to get out. The official end of the mourning period is over, but really it takes a very long time and people should be allowed the space to mourn when they need to. Hugs to you today, and thank you for great reads. maribethbatcho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the funeral is kind of like the end of that part of the grieving process, and the beginning of another one. I'm thankful that there are no more arrangements to make (except for the laying of the new stone)

      Delete
  4. What beautiful tributes to your mom. I understand how a certain word can make something feel so much more real than another. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many things can trigger pangs of anguish and or joy. Words are more powerful than we realize I think.

      Delete
  5. Words have a way of releasing what's locked in our hearts - beautiful poems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure do. And in poetry, each word can feel loaded. Thanks for your appreciation.

      Delete
  6. Those of us who have been on this journey are traveling with you, too, Cheriee. It looks like a beautiful celebration of saying goodbye to your mother. Your poems touch me in their truth and in the beauty of what was and what will be. Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words Linda. I'm touched that you appreciate what I am trying to convey.

      Delete
  7. I lost my mom a few months ago .. your poetry certainly resonates with me. I really like your writing style. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. It's five weeks for me. There are many universal aspects to grieving, but we still mostly have to do it on our own. Hang in there.

      Delete
  8. It's so important to just say it. 16 years ago on May 11th my mom died. The pain of her death has lessened. In grief's place is profound love. This happens. Just not as soon as I would have liked. Peace to you. BTW, the celebration of your mom's life looks so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is Mary Ann. We are feeling her love in all of our family and friends. Love was what mom was all about in the past three years. It was a fantastic celebration filled with so much love and laughter and plans to never let us grow distant. We finalized plans to go high mountain camping as soon as school is out. Mom will be with us in spirit this year.

      Delete
  9. It's so important to just say it. 16 years ago on May 11th my mom died. The pain of her death has lessened. In grief's place is profound love. This happens. Just not as soon as I would have liked. Peace to you. BTW, the celebration of your mom's life looks so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your mother must have been amazing! What an incredible gathering to honor her! Your poetry touches every reader, I am left with tears in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gathering of family and friends to celebrate what must have been a very special lady's life. Your poetry salute to her is very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Writing is such a powerful process. Your poetry conveys so much. I'm sure your mother would be proud, and I'm sure she would be happy to see her loved ones gathered together in joy and laughter - that's what mothers are all about, isn't it, bringing people together. :)

    ReplyDelete