My Two Blankets by Irena Kobald & Freya Blackwood (Illustrator)

This is such a timely book. It's the story of a young girl who has to leave her country because of war. Irena Kobald's writing is exquisite and Freya Blackwood's water color illustrations add depth and meaning to the text.

Living in a new country is hard work. Everything is different including the houses, food, plants, animals and language. "Even the wind felt different." It was like "standing under a waterfall of strange sounds. The waterfall was cold. It made me feel alone. I felt like I wasn't me anymore." She wraps herself in a blanket of her "own words and sounds" where she feels safe.

Imagine yourself moving from here


to here...



Eventually she meets a friend in the park who helps her learn to speak a new language. 




One of the many things I love about this book is that we never know which country our protagonist came from or to. This makes it a universal story of refugees. 

No comments:

Post a Comment