#IMWAYR May 25, 2015

Well, it's Monday again: a time to take stock of my reading and check out what other bloggers have been up to the past week. It's also when I'm reminded how precious public libraries are. If I had to purchase all these books I want to read, by the time I was barely started, I would be bankrupt. To see what all the buzz is about, check out Jen from Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Rickie from Unleashing Readers, our hosts for this weekly event. 

There are two weeks of circulation left in this school year so I've set out my last display of new books. The rest will have to wait for next fall. Here are a few of the new picture books I read while getting them ready. I'm looking forward to book talking the first two at our Monday morning assembly. 

5 stars
Mama Built a Little Nest by Jennifer Ward and Steve Jenkins
Holy Crow! This is some gorgeous book! Jenkins' illustrations are absolutely stunning! I love that Ward has a poem about a specific bird's nest on one side of each two page spread and on the other side there is informational text in smaller font.

5 stars
When Otis Courted Mama by Kathi Appelt and Jill McElmurry

This book is as delightful as everyone says it is. Cardell, a lovable young coyote, has to get used to Otis, his mother's suitor. I think many children will empathize with Cardell. McElmurry's illustrations depict the setting and events with glorious simplicity. And the text, well, Appelt can hardly do wrong in anything she takes on. 

3.5 stars
Home by Carson Ellis

There is much about this book I admire, but I'm not exceptionally impressed. Carson's illustrations are lovely and match and enhance the sparse text. My delight, however, is seriously tempered because of the stereotypical ways some peoples are represented.

3 stars

There are parts of this book I like and other parts that jarred. Check out the link if you want to read more details about this book.

5 stars


Feathers and Fools by Mem Fox

This isn't a new book to me, but one that I felt we needed in our library. It's an allegory for how war comes to be, and ultimately, the steps we need to take for how to avoid it in the future. 

Ask The Passengers by A.S. King

4 stars
This is my first A.S. King novel. It won't be my last. I came to care deeply for these characters. I'm in awe of King's ability to portray such depth and complexity in all of them, even the minor ones. Devon Sorvari's voice and narration captured Astrid's essence and enhanced my enjoyment of this story. Just when I think I'm done with the gay characters coming of age and into awareness and acceptance of who they are, and want to read about them just living regular lives battling evil and doing whatever fictional characters do, a book like this comes along to make me wonder about this.  

3.5 stars
Hold Me Closer: The Tiny Cooper Story by David Levithan

I wanted so much to love this book, and I did, kind of. Yet in spite of some brilliant lines and universal truths, it just didn't quite work for me. I think it's the format. I would love to see it performed, but as it is, I kept picking it up and putting it down. I'm the kind of reader who really needs to finish a book before starting another, (except for audiobooks) so this seriously got in the way of my reading much this week. 

First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen (an adult read)

4.5 stars
I fell in love Sarah Addison Allen and magical realism upon reading The Sugar Queen. I love some of her books better than others, but I especially love the Waverly family. They are introduced in Garden Spells, wherein the two sisters Claire and Sydney, reconnect with each other and against what seem like insurmountable odds, fall in love and set out on the path to happily ever after. 
In First Frost, the two sisters, on the surface at least, seem to be happily married and settled into the town of Bascom North Carolina. Except that neither of them is truly content. As the autumn moves closer to the first frost of the year, the one that sets the enchanted apple tree into blooming again, the whole family is unsettled and edgy. As if this isn't enough, an elderly con man is poking around preparing to disrupt their lives. 

Here are a few quotes that resonated with me:
"when you are abandoned as a child, you are never able to forget that people are capable of leaving, even if they never do."

“She wished she had known back then. Known that happiness isn't a point in time you leave behind. It's what's ahead of you. Every single day.”

I've just finished Bird by Crystal Chan as an audiobook. I'm in the process of writing a post about it. Suffice to say, it's just stunning!

I've got The Mark of the Dragonfly by Jaleigh Johnson ready to start listening to. Last week I started listening to Five Kingdoms, the new series by Brandon Mull, but it was too creepy for me so I stopped and happily went on to Bird. I'll try to get back to it, but these books where children are in danger can totally freak me out. Currently I'm reading with my eyes, (from netgalley) We Are All Made of Molecules by Susin Nielsen.

I've got Platypus Police Squad: The Frog who Croaked by Jarret J. Krosoczka waiting for me. I am hoping that All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven becomes available as an audiobook for me this week as I am next up in line for it. I've downloaded Another Day by David Levithan from Netgalley and hope to get to it. Other than that, I've suspended all my library holds until I get caught up on what I've got here at home to read. (It's a tower that's steadily growing!)

22 comments:

  1. What a nice assortment of books! I haven't ever read anything by David Levithan and saw Another Day at NetGalley. I didn't add it to my stack as I think I already have at least 35 review books in my pile. Here is what my week looked like. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Levithan is a delight. He writes as though the world is the way is should be. I recommend starting with Boy meets Boy.

      Delete
  2. Our last day was Thursday, which seems so wrong. Of course, we start back on 12 August! I have a list of almost 200 books to order in mid July so we can start the year with new books. Good luck getting everything back! (I had 3 and 1/2 still out. Grrr.!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sitting at 453 overdue right now. It might get worse before it gets better. 160 of those belong to teachers!

      Delete
  3. Great list, Cheriee. I agree about Feathers and Fools; every library should have it! I still have and need to read Ask The Passengers, just haven't gotten to it, yet. Maybe this summer? I think Mama Built A Little Nest is a gem, as are all the Steve Jenkins books. I just got Egg from the library. Thanks for all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to get Egg from the library also. If it's really good I'll order it for ours. I think you will enjoy Ask the Passengers. Now I can't wait for Glory O'Brien!

      Delete
  4. I know what that tower of holds looks like!! I think sometimes it's a conspiracy where they all come in at the same time! You do have some great reading ahead of you! And some great reading this past week! I love some of the picture books - Home, Otis, When Mama Built... Great PBs! I'm so glad you enjoyed First Frost. I love the magic in her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - the possibility of everyday magic is so enticing. Hurrah for Sarah Addison Allen. I'm getting better at suspending library holds and keeping them under control, but there is the don't so small problem of books I bring home from work to read!

      Delete
  5. I'm reading Hold Me Closer and am feeling the same way. I thought I would read it quickly but it's been very stop and go for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it sad. Maybe you have to be the kind of person who puts on musicals to truly appreciate this book.

      Delete
  6. Ask the Passengers is one of those books that makes it explicitly clear to me that books save lives. Such an important book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Beth. It's one of an ever growing number of books that save lives and build capacity for tolerance for all people.

      Delete
  7. I loved looking through your list. Feathers and Fools is an old favorite-- it is so effective at sharing the messages of misunderstanding, rumor, tolerance, etc. Mama Built a Little Nest looks interesting to me-- I'm not familiar with Ward or Jenkins, but I really like the sound of the way this book is set up. I'm really interested in reading We Are All Made of Molecules; I may have to see if I can request that one on Netgalley. Thanks for some good book ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Virgina, If you don't know Steve Jenkins you have a fabulous treat in store for you! So far I'm enjoying We Are All Made of Molecules. I'm especially happy that Susin Nielsen is a local author!

      Delete
  8. A big yes to everything you say about libraries. I have cards at 4 libraries and use them all. I loved so many of the illustrations in Home but, like you, was disturbed by the stereotypical nature of several of the images. Not sure why no one challenged Ellis on those images before the book was published. I have Mama Built a Nest checked out right now--will have to move it up in the stack! At some point I want to read the Tiny Cooper story but I'm not sure the format is going to work for me either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I could keep track of 4 library cards! I agree with you about Home. But then I'm often disturbed by what editors let cross their desks and make it into publishing. Enjoy Mama Built a Nest - it is precious!

      Delete
  9. So many books to comment on!
    I, too, loved Otis and Ask the Passengers (Walden Finalist!). Enjoy Platypus Police Squad and All the Bright Places. SUCH DIFFERENT books, but both great in their own right. I need to read Tiny Cooper, Home, and Mama. They all look like must reads (and I loved Tiny Cooper in Will Grayson!).

    Happy reading this week! :)

    P.S. Love your comment about libraries! So true! I'd never be able to read the picture books I wanted to after vising IMWAYR and NF PB Wed if I didn't have a library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know are they not fabulous! I also loved Tiny Cooper in Will Grayson. That's why I was heartbroken that Hold Me Closer didn't work for me. I still love Tiny and hope one day, to see his musical performed.

      Delete
  10. I am thrilled you have stepped into the land of A.S. King Ask the Passengers was my first title too. Now I think I have read all but one. Everybody Sees the Ants is maybe my favourite. Hom is interesting. I LOVE so many of the images and think about the inspiration for beautiful art but yes, I agree some images made me think - Did nobody question this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was you who introduced me to A.S. King and I thank you for that. I will have to get my hands on Everybody Sees the Ants. I'm also really looking forward to Glory O'Brien's History of the Future.

      Delete
    2. PS
      maybe when I retire I can get a job editing children's books!

      Delete