every day by david levithan

What if every morning you woke up in a new body? There would be some parameters. First the body would be about the same age as the one you woke in yesterday. Second, it would be within a 500 mile radius of the last body you were in. 

This is the experience of our main character, A.
The body itself could be any gender, or as ambivalent about gender as possible. It could be gay, lesbian, straight, bisexual, or trans. It could be any skin color or size. It could be physically and emotionally healthy, or diseased, drug addicted, or mentally ill. It could wake into a healthy family, a dysfunctional one, or wake to no family at all.

This premise alone boggles the mind. 

Add to this falling in love with a body's partner.  Complicate it by having another body realize you were there, and start stalking you through your email address. 

Then someone tells you that you are not the only one. That person also says there is a way to stay longer than a day.

There are so many quotable quotes. 

“If there's one thing I've learned, it's this: We all want everything to be okay. We don't even wish so much for fantastic or marvelous or outstanding. We will happily settle for okay, because most of the time, okay is enough.” 

“If you stare at the center of the universe, there is coldness there. A blankness. Ultimately, the universe doesn't care about us. Time doesn't care about us. That's why we have to care about each other.”

My only complaint about this book is that I didn't think much of the main romantic component. It felt unrealistic to me. There were other romantic relationships in the book that felt more real, even if we only experienced them for one day.   

I'm not sure what appealed to me most about this book. I loved the descriptions of experiencing the different physical bodies. I liked that A could experience love in so many facets. I was fascinated by the awareness of living inside a different body, of what depression might feel like. I enjoyed the musing on moral dilemma. I liked that this book is more about questions than it is about answers.

I loved most of all, that there is no pronoun to describe A.

No comments:

Post a Comment